MWFA Awards $40,000 in Scholarshipshdfadmin
On November 3rd, when the MWFA held their annual meeting to award scholarships, Dan Hampton, former NFL player was the guest speaker. Dan was a first-round draft pick of the Chicago Bears in 1979 following an All-America season at the University of Arkansas. An outstanding and versatile defensive lineman, Hampton would play 12 seasons with the Bears. Six times he earned first- or second-team All-Pro honors as either a defensive tackle or defensive end.
Nicknamed “Danimal” for his ferocious style of play, Hampton persevered through 10 knee surgeries and numerous other injuries as he became recognized as one of the game’s most dedicated players. Hampton was an impact player even as a rookie. In his first season he was credited with 70 tackles, 48 of which were solo efforts, as well as two fumble recoveries, three passes defensed, and two sacks.
It’s for the 1985 season, however, that Dan and the Bears’ defense is best remembered. That year, the stingy Chicago defense allowed just 198 points and shut out both opponents in the NFC playoffs. The Bears went on to destroy the New England Patriots 46-10 in Super Bowl XX. He was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2002.
He spoke of the importance of goals while sharing great stories of his football career. You cannot complete a mission without goals that you see through.
Congratulations to This Year’s MWFA Scholarship Winners:
- $4,500 Richard S. Piskoty Memorial Scholarship (Donated by Clarcorp Industrial Sales) | Awardee: Sara Walsh, Brighton Best International
- $4,500 Morgan Ohare Scholarship (Donated by Morgan Ohare) | Awardee: Michael Guigliano, Star Stainless Screw
- $4,000 XL Screw Corp. Scholarship (Donated by XL Screw Corp.) | Awardee: Victoria Nickens, Liberty Fastener
- $4,000 Brighton-Best Int’l Scholarship (Donated by Brighton-Best Int’l) | Awardee: Teresa Sanchez, SWD Inc.
- $4,000 Raul Torres Memorial Scholarship (Donated by Star Stainless and Fall River Mfg.) | Awardee: Tri Nguyen, Star Stainless
- $3,000 SHMF/Brian Christianson Scholarship (Donated by South Holland Metal Finishing) | Awardee: Kelsey Callahan, Continental Aero
- $2,500 SWD Inc. Scholarship (Donated by SWD Inc.) | Awardee: Yoselyn Castro, Brico Industries
- $2,500 BTM Scholarship (Donated by BTM Manufacturing) | Awardee: Maria Chornij, 3Q Inc.
- $2,000 Brikksen Scholarship (Donated by Brikksen) | Awardee: Judith Rosland, Brico Industries
- $2,000 Hi-Tech Fastener Corp. Scholarship (Donated by Hi-Tech Fastener) | Awardee: Allison Ronk, Endries International
- $2,000 Mark DeBaker Memorial Scholarship (Donated by Richard and Karen Pease of RK Precision Products) | Awardee: Brianna Barile, Brighton Best International
- $2,000 Mike and Carol O’Connor Scholarship (Donated by Mike and Carol O’connor) | Awardee: Jaris James, Arlington Fastener
- $1,500 MWFA Scholarships Connor Cooper, Kanebridge Corp. and Alex Peke, Metric & Multistandard
2023 MWFA Board Announced
President: Jake Davis/BTM
Vice President: Jill Lewis/Integrated Packaging
Treasurer: Bob Baer/Abbott Interfast Inc.
Secretary: Bobby Wegner/Beacon Fasteners and Components
Executive Director: Nancy Rich
- Glen Brin/Innovative Components Inc.
- Rich Cavoto/Metric & Multistandard Components
- Matt Delawder/SWD Inc.
- David Gawlik/Stelfast
- George Hunt III/Brighton/Brighton Best Int’l
- Tabitha Herbst/Burlington Graphics
- Jen Kushnir/DLP Coatings
- Steve Urhausen/All American Systems
- Wayne Wishnew/XL Screw Corp
MWFA 2023 Events
- February 23rd State of the Industry Panel Discussion
- March 2nd Fascination with Fasteners-Introductory Class
- March 30th Wine Tasting/Venuti’s-Addison, IL
- August 20th Charitable Event
- August 21st Open Houses
- August 22nd Table Top Show/Marriott Lincolnshire-Lincolnshire, IL
- August 23rd Golf Outing/Crane’s Landing-Lincolnshire, IL
- November 2nd Scholarship Awards, Elections/Belvedere Banquets-Elk Grov, IL
- December 14th Holiday Party
MWFA Welcomes New Members
FPM Heat Treating/Elk Grove, IL
Grand River Supply/Hudsonville, MI
Spaneaur Inc./Kitchener, Ontario CN
The Mid-West Fastener Association is one of the oldest fastener associations in the United States. For over 75 years, the association has expanded and evolved from a small local group, to the largest regional fastener association in the industry with members from coast to coast. The Midwest market has the largest concentration of fastener related firms in the USA. MWFA activities have drawn members, as well as the fastener industry at large, to our dinner meetings, Educational Seminars, annual Fastener Expo & Trade Shows, the industry’s largest Golf Outing, and many other programs, from all over the world.
The MWFA has awarded over 600 scholarships to date, to members, spouses and their children, totaling in excess of $850,000. View our Fall ’21 Newsletter online to read about our most recent scholarship recipients as well as our milestone 75th Anniversary Celebration. As a result of national interest, the MWFA has adjusted its programs to reflect our commitment to growth and service to the whole fastener industry. Dinner meetings cover specific subjects and problems facing our industry as well as universal subjects of general interest to all companies. Dinner meetings are held in several major regional cities with additional cities added as membership increases across the Midwest.
As a leader in the fastener industry, the MWFA continues to focus on educational programs as MWFA defines “Education” as its’ number 1 priority. Our programs provide unsurpassed fastener industry training, utilizing industry experts with decades of experience offering extensive knowledge and hands on training to attendees.
MWFA members are afforded many opportunities for education, networking and relevant industry information, all of which have helped establish and sustain the success of the MWFA. The MWFA is also a member of the Fastener Industry Coalition, participating and gathering information from a National perspective and providing that information back to our members.
Visit website and become at member at: https://www.mwfa.net/
Content provided by: MWFA News